My 2 close friends, Suyi and Huiming, are going to Japan at the end of the year.
My other close friend, Rebecca Toh, is going to live in Japan next year.
My brother is going to Tokyo to join the Tokyo Marathon in February next year.
AM I THE ONLY PERSON NOT GOING TO JAPAN?????
So when I miss Japan like mad, here’s a place I go to… Nanbantei at Far East Square. Best Kushiyaki / Yakitori place!!!
The food there is really authentic and the atmosphere there is almost Japan. What are some of the signs?
- Well firstly, they get the “irrashaimase” right (which you would think is basic training right? no, most Jap restaurants in Singapore don’t even get this right.)
- 2ndly the way they announce “ni mei sama” (2 pax) is very accurate. score points.
- Black faced aka serious faced chef at work, score!
- The way they place the napkin and chopstick – Chinese place them in vertical, ie perpendicular to the edge of the table. Japanese place them parallel to the table.
- Lastly, and most importantly, the food is crazy good!
Special Tsukune – usually tsukune = chicken ball, but this was chicken, beef and pork ball. Instead of the quail egg, I would prefer the usual half-boiled egg that is served in Japan. But it was good still.
Ox tongue slices (they have it in cubes too), garlic pork and onigiri.
My total bill for 2 pax was $88. It’s not cheap but it’s worth every cent! Now I can “dong” a while longer until I make a trip to Japan… probably Spring?